RE: Encrypting entire documents in XML Proposal?

It is true that well-formed documents require a prologue but it is
also true that the prologue may be empty.  In other words,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<root>
<a><b>
</root>

is well-formed but so is

<root>
<a><b>
</root>

In both cases, if encrypting the entire XML instance, one
would end up with

<EncryptedData Type="Document"
               xmlns=".../xml/encryption">
</EncryptedData>

which is also a well-formed document which has an empty prologue and
is therefore, by default, UTF-8 and version 1.0.

A question which remains to be answered is whether this model
stands the test of various character encodings.  I believe
Hiroshi and Takeshi feel that various character encodings could
cause problems (Hiroshi and Takeshi, please correct me if I
misunderstand).  As for me, I expect that there could be a
problem here, but I don't want to introduce a requirement for
canonicalization unless I see proof of it.

Ed