XML Encryption, Requirements and design considerations

From: Hiroshi Maruyama <MARUYAMA@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:51:22 +0900
To: xml-encryption@w3.org
cc: "Takeshi Imamura" <IMAMU@jp.ibm.com>

I think it is our responsibility to start the discussion.  The motivation
of XML encryption originally came from the needs for transcoding,
where an intermediary ("transcoding proxy") modifies the contents
according to the client's profile, such as the screen size of the client
device and the end-user's preference.  However, it turned out through
many discussions with customers, we found that it is common that
some part of a document need access control and encryption is the
natural way to achieve such access control.

Based our experiences in XML parser, XML signature, and customer
engagements, we wrote a short paper (attached below) on the
requirements and design considerations of XML encryption.  I hope
this will stimuate the discussion!

Hiroshi

(See attached file: xmlenc.html)

--
Hiroshi Maruyama
Manager, Internet & Language Technology, Tokyo Research Laboratory