  • From: Colin Adams <colinpauladams@googlemail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:03:28 +0000
  • Subject: Re: Comments on XML 1.0 5th edition
  • To: "Liam Quin" <liam@w3.org>
I just do not accept that there is a constraint that you cannot change
the version number (to 1.0.1 for instance).

Do you really think that it was because XML 1.1 was labelled 1.1 that
it hasn't widely caught on? I am sure that is not the case.

If you make the proposed change as it stands, there are two possibilities:

1) People will accept it, and everyone will upgrade their XML parsers, or
2) They won't accept it.

If you make the change and label it 1.0.1 there are exactly the same
two possibilities. I would predict a higher acceptance rate in that
case (I know for sure that that will be the case in the Eiffel
community).

But now users will know where they stand.