Re: XML Core WG needs input on xml:lang=""

At 17:03 02/08/03 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>But let me step back, and suggest that there is a deeper issue here,
>providing a solution to which would help XML users and vendors.
>
>The scoping of the effect of attributes, whether W3C-defined or user-defined,
>should have a systematic solution.  Addressing it piecemeal in this fashion
>just creates a spaghetti of special cases: namespaces, xml:lang, xml:space,
>xml:base, etc.

Point taken. But I think part of moving in this direction is the
realization that if you combine attribute inheritance and the idea
of 'cut-and-paste' of XML elements, then you need a special
attribute value that represents the same thing as the absence
of the attribute. We are just working now on fixing this for
xml:lang.

A systematic solution would then make it possible to define
attributes as inherited, AND to give their 'NIL' (or whatever
we call it) value.

Regards,    Martin.