Re: XML Core WG needs input on xml:lang=""

At 10:28 AM 2002-08-02, John Cowan wrote:
>It has the same semantics as not using an xml:lang tag at all.

Let me see if I understand.

The intended sense of xml:lang="" is to clear any hereditary value for
this property and leave the scope in question with "no statement" as to
language.  That is IIRC the same semantics as 'nil' in XQuery.

>In any case, "und" is a side issue.

I don't yet understand this.  If a code fragment not to be interpreted
as English is embedded in a scope where xml:lang="en" and the code fragment
is wrapped in an entity where the attribute xml:lang="und" is set I don't
see why we need to define another value to achieve the desired effect.

What is the use case for the distinction between setting

xml:lang="und"  -- as one already can, and
xml:lang-""     -- the proposed innovation

??

If, as you claim, xml:lang="und" applies in the case where the language is
unknown, i.e. 'nil' semantics, then we don't necessarily need an
indication different from this in order to escape from an
enclosing/hereditary natural language property.

Al