Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

On Wed, 24 May 100 23:22:11 -0400 (EDT), John Cowan
<cowan@locke.ccil.org> wrote:

>> "In the content of elements, character data is any string of
>> characters which does not contain the start-delimiter of any markup."
>
>No real conflict, I think.  It's true that a CDATA section is always in the
>content of some element, but the second sentence refers to the
>*immediate* character-data content of elements.

If I read that sentence literally, it seems to me that it says that
this is legal

 <element>foo bar ]]> bar foo</element>

since "foo bar ]]> bar foo" most definitely constitutes "any string of
characters which [sic] does not contain the start-delimiter of any
markup."

But that particular content string is forbidden both by the previous
sentence and by the CharData production [14].

-Steve Schafer