Re: UTF-16BL/LE,... (was: Re: I18N issues with the XML

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, MURATA Makoto wrote:

> When the charset parameter is not available, the XML processor has to
> examine encoding declarations such that each character in
> the encoding declarations are represented by two octets.  Then, other
> encodings such as Extended_UNIX_Code_Fixed_Width_for_Japanese will
> be allowed.

Of course, EUC fixed is allowed by XML at the moment. The idea, that
some people may get, that Appendix F somehow defines the encoding
detection routines rather than merely giving a nice start is why
I would prefer, for example, the title of Appendix F to be
"Example of Encoding-Determining Method for XML" or something similar.

And why I think all talk of "this algorthm" should be carefully limited
to something like "this example algorithm".

Rick Jelliffe