Re: UTF-16BL/LE,... (was: Re: I18N issues with the XML Specification

At 04:59 PM 4/12/00 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>> For the record, and this will come as no surprise, I totally oppose this
>> change, because I do *not* think 16LE and 16BE are appropriate for use with
>> XML, as they fly in the face of XML's orientation towards interoperability
>> across heterogeneous systems.  I think XML entities encoded in any flavor
>> of UTF-16 should always have a BOM; exactly what the current spec [correctly
>> IMHO] says.
>
>For the record, that's not what the Rec says: it speaks of "UTF-16", not
>"any flavor of UTF-16".

When the spec was written, the -LE and -BE variants didn't exist.  Thus
the question of whether what the spec says about UTF-16 should be considered
to apply to those variants as well is a reasonable one to debate.  I think
it should, for reasons that you've all heard enough times now. -Tim