Re: Action Item - Part I: WSRX and MEP signaling on the wire

Chris,

Thanks for the response.  You are of course right that WS-RM defines
acknowledgment at the reliability layer:  A message is acknowledged and
/then/ delivered.  Interestingly, WS-Reliability at least appears to
take the other approach: A message is delivered to the application level
and then acknowledged.  At least, the WS-R picture with four boxes in it
shows arrows /both ways/ between the application and reliability layers,
while WS-RM shows arrows only one way.

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to find a source of potential confusion
among reliability standards.

In any case, leaving aside the possibility that delivery could involve
arbitrary amounts of application-level processing (e.g., I want to know
when the receiver taken some action based on my message, not just that
the message arrived), I believe that the issues I'm describing will
occur whenever there is more than one transport-level hop involved, and
I believe that both flavors of reliability standard allow for this.  If
not, then I'd think there would be a need for some sort of extension to
cover such cases.  I think the analogy to return-receipt is fairly
tight.  The return receipt is meant to ack not only that the message
arrived in a mailbox, but that someone actually saw it.

As far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any significant difference from
the reliability layer's point of view between forwarding a message along
another hop and doing some other sort of processing before declaring it
delivered.  In either case, I don't send back an ack until something
arbitrarily long-running and outside my control finishes happening.

The real feature I'm really trying to highlight here is that the flow of
messages and acks may be decoupled in various ways from the
transport-level flow of requests and responses.  From your comments, may
I take it that you accept that premise?  As has been pointed out, this
is essentially building a separate protocol of messages and acks on top
of a protocol of requests and responses.  Mark has already done a good
deal more than cringe at this.

As to HTTP request-response and SOAPiness thereof, we seem to be
converging on a "standard model" matching what you describe.  I'm
certainly comfortable with "HTTP is always request-response, but the
either the request or the response or both may not be SOAPy".  I'm not
sure if DaveO would put it quite that way, but I'll let him speak for
himself on that.

Generalizing a bit, there are transports that act in a request-response
manner, as Noah describes in [1].  HTTP is one and, from what I can make
out, XMPP's <iq/> mechanism can be regarded as another.  There are also
transports that act in a fire and forget manner, for example XMPP's
<message/> mechanism.  For these, the MEP will always be one-way, fire
and forget or whatever we call it.

The transport MEP is (unsurprisingly) a static property of the transport.