Re: Binding framework & XML Version / Infoset

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> This seems like a good solution at the receiver, but the question I was
> raising related to a sender.  What do you do if:
>
> a) You are an original sender at a node that is in general XML 1.1
> capable, but the particular link you are using employs the traditional
> SOAP/HTTP binding.  The application prepares an infoset that is perfectly
> legal SOAP, but you can't send it.  As far as we know, we have no error
> for failure to prepare a media type when sending, only for failure to
> accept one upon receipt.

This is between application layers, no need to define a SOAP specific
binding, it has to be defined per application used (or per toolkit used)

> b) You are an intermediary and the inbound message used 1.1 constructs.
> Again, it's your outbound link that can't handle the content.

The "unsupported media type" error applies in that case, as what has been
received caused the intermediary node to fail to do its duty. Of course it
is extending a bit the use of "unsupported media type" but that looks like
the easiest way to handle the case without changing the REC.

--
Yves Lafon - W3C