Re: use cases for MTOM

At 10:39 AM 9/10/2003 -0700, Anish Karmarkar wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I mostly agree with you comments.
>
>XMLP-UC-6 needs to be discussed further. One of the biggest advantages of
>using attachments is streaming. This can be positioned either as a usecase
>or a requirement.

I wonder about the use of the words "attachments" and "streaming" here.  To
me "attachments" means a single
message with two or more parts, a major part and other stuff
attached.  "Streaming" means data sent continuously
with out any end predicted (radio station).  So the statement  "advantages
of using attachments is streaming" does
not make sense to me.

I do absolutely agree that a good mechanism for client/server interaction
on buffer management is important for
binary in SOAP.  The simplest and a very effective way is for the protocol
to allow binary object sizes to be
sent in the message early.  SwA can be used in this way: the entire SOAP
message can appear first and
a large binary can still be on the wire, allowing a client to prepare
itself based on the first part of the message.

>For example, consider a header containing large binary data. If this
>binary data is contained in an attachment, then the sender (and receiver)
>can stream the data out (and in). This allows the receiver to start
>processing the SOAP message (for example looking at all the headers and
>checking for MU) before the binary data has been received (or sent by the
>sender).

As above, I'm not sure you mean the same thing by "stream" that I commonly
hear.  Typically streamed data
does not go over TCP/IP let alone HTTP.  But otherwise I agree with the
need for the requirement doc to take
the case of a very large binary in to serious consideration.