Re: Proposal for multi-reference support in MTOM

On 18 Nov 2003, at 21:02, Martin Gudgin wrote:

> I have to say that I don't think it has any benefit over the
> Representaion header approach. I still have to add an attribute to my
> element. In your proposal it's a mtom:ContentID, in the Representation
> header case it's any attribute you like provided it's of type
> xs:anyURI.
> In both cases I can deal with multiple references and only send a
> single
> copy of the data.

The benefits over the representation header approach are as follows:

(i) It brings the benefits of attachment inclusion to all references to
the data, not just to the representation header or the single reference
elsewhere in the message.

(ii) Attachments are automatically removed when there are no more
references to them, the representation header approach can easily
result in attachments being kept for the whole message path because of
a 'none' role (more on this below).

(iii) It provides a single mechanism for referencing data rather than
one mechanism when we only have a single reference and another when
there are multiple.

> Where you proposal diverges is that I think it makes life very hard for
> intermediaries. It essentially requires them to parse the whole
> message,
> looking for xbinc:Include elements and/or mtom:ContentID attributes. I
> don't want intermediaries to have to trawl through headers not
> targetted
> at them or the body. And with your proposal they would have to do that.

I disagree. If your intermediary just wants to remove a particular
header without looking at the rest of the message and that header
happens to have an Include then the worst you'll end up with is an
orphaned attachment. The representation header approach can also easily
end up with the same thing where the only reference to an attachment is
a representation header targeted at 'none' (more on this below).

> With the Representation header we can target given representations at
> specific roles, and also have Representations intended for 'everyone'
> by
> targeting them at 'none'.

Using a representation header with a role of anything except 'none'
will require intimate knowledge of the processing at every intermediary
in the message path in order to ensure that representation headers are
not removed while they are still referenced from elsewhere in the
message. I don't think this is realistic in practice and we'll end up
with most if not all representation headers being targeted at 'none'.
This means that all such attachments will be present for the whole
message path - one of the benefits of MTOM was to avoid this.

> Regarding signatures, I regard it as a feature, not a bug, that I can
> sign the reference seperately from the referenced data. With the
> Representation header I
> essentially get to choose. I can sign the reference, the data or both.

It might be a feature, just not a good feature ;-). I'd question the
value of signing a reference alone. One of the key benefits of MTOM is
the inclusion of the data itself in signatures. The problem with the
representation approach is that the entity constructing a signature
needs to know that an instance of an xs:anyURI is in fact a reference
to a representation and to include that representation in the signed
info. With the Inclusion (and my proposed multiple inclusion) approach
this comes for free.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>