Re: Proposed resolution for issue 440

On 6 Nov 2003, at 18:34, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Let's say we adopt Gudge's rule of
> 1-to-1 between xbinc:Include and parts in the "related" group.  What's
> the
> rule for intermediaries?  Simple:  the content is logically in the
> Infoset.  Let's assume a header with MTOM content is not removed at the
> intermediary.  If you go out over a non-MTOM binding, you send the
> characters (or whatever your binding does.)  If you go over an MTOM
> binding, then you MAY continue to carry the binary as a part (or MAY
> fail
> to optimize on the 2nd hop.)  The two bindings MAY conspire to optimize
> the copying of bytes from the inbound stream to the outbound.  Now,
> let's
> assume the header is removed:  the rule is very clear, even if the
> outbound binding is MTOM, there clearly MUST NOT be a part
> corresponding
> to the received binary.  So with Gudge's rule, the SOAP processing
> model
> tells you exactly what to do.

I agree the model works well when there's a 1-1 correspondence between
attachments and references to those attachments in the SOAP message.
But what if I need to reference the same data from multiple places.
It's suggested that the way to do this is to use a representation
header plus two or more application specific references (some element
or attribute of type anyURI). How does an intermediary know when its
safe to remove a representation header ? Do all representation headers
have to be targeted at the ultimate recipient to prevent dangling