RE: Content-free Header and Body elements

Gudge,

I thought Rich's question was a little more subtle than that (which is why
I didn't
address the first part:)

He asked:

>>In other words, if there are no headers, are message processors allowed
>>to insert/delete an empty Header element?  I believe the answer is yes,
>>as I can't find text that says otherwise.

I took this to be asking a question related to processing a SOAP message
(e.g. an intermediary).
e.g. If I receive:

<S:Envelope>
  <S:Header><tns:foo role="me"/></S:Header>
  <S:Body> ... </S:Body>
</S:Envelope>

and process the tns:foo header, can I serialize the message as:

either:

<S:Envelope>
  <S:Header></S:Header>
  <S:Body> ... </S:Body>
</S:Envelope>

or

<S:Envelope>
  <S:Body> ... </S:Body>
</S:Envelope>

? I might have expected the answer to be: yes, either is permitted as the
messages are equivalent and both are valid (as you rightly point out).

However, suppose I had a digital signature in the Body that signed
over the message and simply excluded the tns:foo header. If I remove
the S:Header element, I break the signature. Of course, maybe this is
a bad idea, but ...

The SOAP process model (last time I looked) said nothing about removing
the S:Header, only about removing header blocks after they are processed
by the node. I think that this is what Rich was asking.

Of course, I could be mis-reading Rich's question too:)

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624