Re: PASWA, Include and Protocol Bindings

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 14:58 US/Eastern, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>> Also note that messages are transmitted in lexical space so verifying
>> sig would require base64 decoding.
>
> Huh? If they're included, they certainly won't be base64-encoded;
> that's
> the whole point. If you have a "dumb" hop (one that doesn't doInclude,
> or
> if Noah has his way, one that doesn't support this binding), you would
> need to decode, of course. What am I missing here?

You're missing the context ;-). This was a response to your question:

> Your original question was:
>
>> If A uses the latter case, how do C or D determine which instances of
>> base64 encoded data to decode prior to signature verification ?

This was a reference Gudge's scenario:

> However, consider the following case:
>
> A -> B -> C ->D -> E
>
> where C does NOT understand PASWA. The serialization stream would be as
> follows:
>
> A -PASWA-> B -SOAP1.2HTTP-> C ->SOAP1.2HTTP-> D -PASWA-> E
>
> So, the ultimate receiver ( E ) gets a PASWA message, but along the
> way,
> it was at some point serialized accordings to the HTTP binding we have
> in SOAP 1.2 today.

Too much snipping !

So yes, C and D are after dumb hops. I thought the promise of PASWA was
supposed to be that the on the wire serialization was transparent ;-).

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>