Re: PASWA, Include and Protocol Bindings

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 14:33 US/Eastern, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> How does it sidestep the problem? Please explain.
>
> Your original question was:
>
>> If A uses the latter case, how do C or D determine which instances of
>> base64 encoded data to decode prior to signature verification ?
>
> If you sign the value space, no decision about encoding need to be
> made,
> because encoding isn't visible, period. There does need to be
> visibility
> of type information (or some other hint, as you discuss), but I *think*
> we're in agreement that this is a manageable problem.

A requirement for visibility of type information is a serious issue
IMO. Hence my suggestion for a simple indicator of which contents are
inlined binary data.

Also note that messages are transmitted in lexical space so verifying a
sig would require base64 decoding.

> I think an appropriate question is whether it's a problem we (XMLP)
> need
> to provide a solution for, as it's rather specific to digital
> signatures,
> and therefore might be better considered elsewhere.

I think its important that we consider how any new proposal fits with
existing practice and available technologies.

> I do agree that we
> need to investigate enough to assure that it's solveable, which we
> appear
> to be doing.

Indeed.

Marc.