Re: SOAP MIME Type

Hi Paul,

First of all, application/rss+xml is not registered; it's merely an
Internet-Draft that I threw together one weekend.

RSS, GIF, JPEG, HTML and other versioned formats use common media types
because the are backwards-compatible; if a HTML2 engine receives an HTML4
document, it's expected to understand and render it to some degree. The
same situation exists with RSS, albeit with a much more liberal definition
of "understand", due to the somewhat rocky history of that format.

SOAP1.2 is not backwards-compatible with SOAP1.1; if a SOAP 1.1 processor
receives a SOAP1.2 message, it will fault. The fact that the protocol lets
nodes say "I don't understand that" (the VersionMismatch Fault) doesn't,
to me, imply that there is backwards-compatibility.

From RFC2048:

[[[
2.2.4.  Canonicalization and Format Requirements

   All registered media types must employ a single, canonical data
   format, regardless of registration tree.
]]]

Cheers,