RE: Opaque data, XML, and SOAP

For what it's worth, at the Tech Plenary last week there was a very explicit
call for people to tell the XML Core working group what their requirements
for a future version of XML might be.  The people involved are intelligent
and reasonable, and willing in principle to accomodate the needs of XML
users that weren't forseen the first time around.  The challenge will be to
make a compelling case that such features add enough benefit to outweigh the
interoperability / backwards incompatibility costs, preferably with
realistic use cases as actual performance/bandwidth data.