RE: Issue 301: Universal Transport Binding

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 23:31, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Stuart Williams writes:
>
> >> FWIW I think that in responding [1] to the issue raised
> >> by the TAG the XML-WG clearly paved the way to enabling
> >> and encouraging the so-called RESTful use of SOAP bound
> >> to HTTP. Equally, I don't think that the WG has took
> >> the position that such use is the only legitimate use
> >> over SOAP/HTTP. I think the 'classic' ways of using
> >> SOAP remain available, but there is (strong)
> >> encouragement to make resources visible 'on-the-Web'
>
> +1.  I agree with Stuart's analysis and his conclusion.

 My view is that you don't need SOAP to make resources visible on the
web and that you actually don't get any benefit from using SOAP over
HTTP in the way HTTP was meant to be. HTTP (and REST) transfers resource
representations, a term that at least to me doesn't imply any commands.
On the other hand, SOAP has a processing model and every mustUnderstand
or understood header is a command to be executed at the receiver - the
client (when a SOAP message is transferred as a result of GET or POST).
 This difference in views of what is transferred makes me think that
SOAP over HTTP, although possible, is not really usable in any real
application.
 I will be very glad if I'm presented with a counterexample - "fighting"
agains so many bright people makes me nervous that I'm probably wrong
and I don't know how.
 Best regards

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation