Re: Proposal for clarifying relationship between SOAP modules and features

[I apologize in advance for the length of this message. It
started small and ended much longer that I had anticipated.]

-----------

Having just been made aware of issue 219[1], it's resolution[2]
and pushback[3], here's a variation of my earlier proposal:

<alternativeAmendment
     section="3.2, 1st paragraph"
     section="Glossary">
A SOAP Module *describes* the syntax and semantics of one or more
SOAP header blocks *used to implement* one or more SOAP features.
<theFollowingNotInGlossary/>
A module specification adheres to the following rules. It:
</alternativeAmendment>

-----------

Also, [3] requested clean-ups to bullet 2, section 3.2. The
current text says:

<current section="3.2, 2nd bullet">
MUST, if the Module implements a Feature which has already been
defined elsewhere, clearly refer to that Feature's URI. Note that
a Module may EITHER explicitly refer to a separate Feature in
this way OR may implicitly define a Feature simply by describing
the semantics of the Module.
</current>

I suggest changing it to:

<proposed section="3.2, 2nd bullet">
MUST, if the module implements a feature which has already been
defined elsewhere, clearly *reference that feature using the
feature's URI*. Note that a module may EITHER explicitly
*reference an existing* feature in this way OR may implicitly
define a *new* feature simply by describing the *module's semantics*.
</proposed>

----------

Finally, and whilst I am at it, I've always found the 1st
paragraph of 3.1 to be a sort of a hodge-podge and to create more
confusion than is necessary. For example, "an extension typically
associated with the exchange of messages" implies, wrongly, MEP.
The current text says:

<current section="3.1">
For the purpose of this specification, the term "feature" is used
to identify an extension of the SOAP messaging framework
typically associated with the exchange of messages between
communicating SOAP nodes. Although SOAP poses no constraints on
the potential scope of such features, example features include
"reliability", "security", "correlation", and "routing". In
addition, the communication might require a variety of message
exchange patterns (MEPs) such as one-way messages,
request/response interactions, and peer-to-peer conversations.
MEPs are considered to be a type of feature, and unless otherwise
stated, references in this specification to the term "feature"
apply also to MEPs. The request-response MEP specified in [SOAP
Part2] illustrates the specification of a MEP feature.
</current>

A simple approach to removing the confusion is to cut down the
text to a single sentence:

<short section="3.1, 1st paragraph">
A SOAP feature is an extension of the SOAP messaging framework.
Example of features are "reliability", "security", "correlation",
"routing" and also one-way messages, request/response
interactions and peer to peer conversations.
</short>

Alternatively, we could go with a longer proposal:

<long section="3.1">
*A SOAP feature is* an extension of the SOAP messaging framework.
*A SOAP feature is either associated with* the *transfer and
processing of individual* SOAP messages *or with the exchange of
(MEP). *Examples of the former type of* features *are*
"reliability", "security", "correlation" and "routing". *Example
of the second type of features (MEPs) are* one-way messages,
request/response interactions, and peer-to-peer conversations.
</long>

The transition with the next paragraph is then much smoother:
"The SOAP extensibility model provides two mechanisms through
which features can be expressed [...]".

In the above, I have removed the sentence about MEPs being a
particular type of feature. I propose to add it back to the
beginning of 3.3 MEPs:

<current section="3.3 MEPs">
A Message Exchnage Pattern (MEP) is a template that establishes a
pattern for the exchange of messages between SOAP nodes. The
specification of a message exchange pattern MUST:
<current>

<proposed section="3.3 MEPs">
A Message Exchnage Pattern (MEP) is a template that establishes a
pattern for the exchange of messages between SOAP nodes. *MEPs
are a type of feature, and unless otherwise stated, references in
this specification to the term "feature" apply also to MEPs. The
request-response MEP specified in [SOAP Part2] illustrates the
specification of a MEP feature.*

The specification of a message exchange pattern MUST:
</proposed>

Comments?

Jean-Jacques.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues.html#x219