RE: Rework on SOAP 1.2 Part 2: Section 2 and 3

I could mostly live with either - in fact I think the term "edge-label
graph" pretty much captures it and the clarification that nodes are
unlabelled would avoid others making the mistake I made.

> >> Is it the case that terminals are all (possibly typed)
> >> literals (I think).
>
> Yup.  In an interleaved thread there is discussion of the need to make
> clear that non-terminals never have a lexical value.  Terminals have
> lexical values, except for the case modeled in the serialization of
> xsi:nil.
>
> >> I think what would be really clear would be
> >> to say that edges are represented by element
> >> names and that nodes are represented by element
> >> content, non-terminals have only elements as
> >> content and that terminals have typed literals
> >> as content. (of course turned into infoset'ise).
> >> Maybe that is indeed what it says... I'll read it again.
>
> The part about element names representing edges is always true.  The part
> about content representing nodes doesn't seem quite right, which is why
> I'm not sure I agree with your suggestion.  First of all, we can't use
> "element content", as that doesn't catch attribute children. xsi:type and
> xsi:nil also represent the node, as opposed to the edge.  So in 3.1 case 1

> we would have to say something like:

Hmmm interesting... do we have three things to represent here? Node
identity, type and value?

> <original>
> If the element information item representing the edge does not have a ref
> attribute information item ( see 3.1.4.2 ref Attribute Information Item )
> amongst its attributes then the element information item is said to
> represent a node in the graph and the edge terminates at that node.
> </original>
>
> <possibleRevisionImNotSureILike>
> If the element information item representing the edge does not have a ref
> attribute information item ( see 3.1.4.2 ref Attribute Information Item )
> amongst its attributes then, the children of the element information item
> represent a node in the graph, and the edge terminates at that node.
> </possibleRevisionImNotSureILike>
>
> I think it's a bit more precise, but I'm not sure that readers will find
> it more effective in conveying what we intend.
>
> The point you raise that I think we do need to do something
> about is to clarify that:

xlmns:p="pUri">

> Results in an edge with no source:
>                                                   +------------------+
>                  |---------------------| pUri,a   | NodeType: Simple |
>                  |                     |----------| Value: "123"     |
>                  |                     |          |                  |
>                  |                     |          +------------------+
>    pUri,loosedge |                     |
>    --------------| Nodetype: struct    |
>                  |                     |         +------------------|
>                  |                     | pUri,b  | NodeType: Simple |
>                  |                     |---------| Value: "456"     |
>                  |                     |         |                  |
>                  |                     |         +------------------
>                   ----------------------
>
> I think we do need a clarification on that.  Gudge and I are both aware
> that serialization roots also aren't discussed in this version, and I
> suspect loose edges should be covered at the same time.

I think, if you buy the view that nodes are unlabelled, SOAP Encoding starts
at 'loose edge' rather than a node.

> Noah Mendelsohn                              Voice: 1-617-693-4036
> IBM Corporation                                Fax: 1-617-693-8676
> One Rogers Street
> Cambridge, MA 02142

Thanks,

Stuart