RE: Need new MEP for SMTP binding

Hi Mark,

Not fundementally opposed to your suggestion... but there are a couple of
buts....

First question comes back to whether doing an email/smtp/pop binding as a
proof-of-concept or as a real fully spec'd. For proof-of-concept reuse of a
feature (the RR MEP) seem's like a good thing. I guess that on a
proof-of-concept basis creating an additional MEP would also exercise the
framework.

Ironically, I rather like the one-way with correlation/causality captured in
the AM and would have like that to have been our first 'documented' MEP
rather than request/response - but we chose to do request/response. Email
'Message-ID' and 'In-Reply-To' headers give a means for marking causality.

On hop-by-hop acknowledgement, I think that's a QoS difference in that the
disposition at the sender of sending a message may be: known success; known
failure; or indeterminate. More reliable infrastructures provide more
certainty, less reliable infrastructures gives more indeterminate results.
It's also interesting that you focus (as would I) on the hop-by-hop nature
of the acknowledgement (if not the whole MEP) infering ultimately successful
delivery from hop-by-hop acknowledgements would not be a good idea, they
represent more of a transfer of responsibility to the next SOAP Node.

Regards

Stuart