From: "Naresh Agarwal" <nagarwal@in.firstrain.com>
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 4:42 PM
Subject: Why XML Infosets are used in SOAP1.2

> Hi
>
> What is purpose of representing the contents of Soap Envelope  using XML
Infosets?

> Quoting from SOAP 1.2, Part 1, Section 5 - "A SOAP message is specified as
an XML Infoset that consists of a document information item with exactly one
member in its [children] property, which MUST be the SOAP Envelope element
information item. This element information item is also the value of the
[document element] property. The [notations] and [unparsed entities]
properties are both empty. The [base URI], [character encoding scheme] and
[version] properties can have any legal value. The [standalone] property
either has a value of "yes" or has no value."
> Does this mean that A SOAP message would consist of - a SOAP Envelope +
"some thing"? If yes, how the latter would be represented?
> From SOAP 1.2, Part 1, Section 4.2 - "As described in 5. SOAP Message
Construct <http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/>, each SOAP message is modeled
as an XML Infoset that consists of a document information item with exactly
one child: the envelope element information item. Therefore, the minimum
responsibility of a binding in transmitting a message is to specify the
means by which the SOAP XML Infoset is transferred to and reconstituted by
the binding at the receiving SOAP node and to specify the manner in which
the transmission of the envelope is effected using the facilities of the
underlying protocol.
> Again does this mean that SOAP XML Infoset consist of - a SOAP Envelope +
"some thing"? If yes, how the latter would be represented?
> In SOAP1.1, the only thing which is exchanged between two communicatinng
SOAP peers is the SOAP envelope (essentially the XML document).
> Is this the case with SOAP1.2 as well or *some additional information* can
be exchanged (in addition to SOAP  Envelope) in SOAP 1.2
> The binding framework does NOT require that every binding use the XML 1.0
serialization as "on the wire" representation of the Infoset; compressed,
encrypted, fragmented representations and so on can be used if appropriate.
A binding, if using XML 1.0 serialization of the infoset, MAY mandate that a
particular character encoding or set of encodings be used."
> This means that, *potentially*, SOAP messages can be serialized using
something other than XML. I believe that, XML is central to idea of SOAP,
which makes it a far better distributed messaging framework than the legacy
ones. If we remove the "XML Serialization" out of SOAP, would it be able to
keep all its promises??