RE: Problem with resolution of Issue 221

Hi Martin,

Can we separate two things...

1) Whether or not the resolution to #221 is clear and consistent.

2) Whether or not the imperatives a) MUST NOT send PIs and b) SHOULD
generate error/fault on receipt of PIs actually accomplish what the WG
wanted them to.

On 1), ok, I agree, the two sentences:

<quote>
"Whenever possible, receivers should detect PIIIs and fault. The above rule
says SHOULD (as opposed to MUST) only to allow for implementations in which
performance considerations outweigh the desirability of detecting erroneous
messages."
</quote>

do muddy things... up to that point it is very clear and consistent. The
'should' in the first of these sentences is not emboldened, which may be a
typo, so it is not clear whether the 'SHOULD' in the second sentence is a
reference to the 'should' in the first sentence or to the 'SHOULD' in the
sentence that immediately preceeds both these two:

<quote>
SOAP receivers (including intermediaries) receiving a message with a PIII
SHOULD generate an error.
</quote>

I took took it to be a reference to the 'SHOULD' in the sentence in this
second quoted block and not the 'should' in the first sentence in the first
quoted block.

If I have taken this reference correctly, then the resolution still remains
consistent... obviating the need to detect PIs  for the purposes of
generating a fault, but yes, agreeing with you still requiring DETECTION for
the case of supressing either messages or PIs in messages being
retransmitted by an intermediary.

However, Re 2) *if* it was the intent of the WG is that in all cases the
detection of PIs in inbound messages be OPTIONAL, then it has stated clearly
a consistent set of imperatives that DO NOT accomplish that intent. ie. its
made the wrong statement, it is not that the the statement it made has made
lack clarity or consistency with respect to a decernable intent.

As, you state the intent behind making PI detection a SHOULD (which the
resolution in [1] does not actually do - modulo a possible typo) is to
enable high performance intermediaries to avoid having to detect PIs when
relaying messages, I agree that the resolution is not consistent with that
intent.

However, the resolution in [1] does give a clear answer to the question
posed in Issue 221... it states clearly that a conforming intermediary MUST
NOT send a SOAP message that contains PI's (because an intermediary is also
a SOAP sender).

I've probably now left you completely exasperated... and I have considerable
sympathy with your comments about subsetting XML. FWIW I would be equally
happy with a resolution that stated *clearly* and *consistently* that SOAP
senders MAY send messages that contain PIs and that SOAP intermediaries MUST
relay PI's with as much fidelity as they would relay any other XML content
in a message at an equivalent point in the same message. Such a resolution
would certainly obviate the need for intermediaries to detect PIs in order
to comply with the spec.

Best regards

Stuart

[1]  http:///lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlp-comments/2002Aug/0014.html