RE: Problem with resolution of Issue 221

Hi Martin,

Hmmm... not sure that this really is inconsistent...

The MUST NOT is on senders sending PIs in messages.

The emboldened SHOULD is on receivers generating errors (are those faults
and if so which one(s)) on receipt of PIs in messages.

There is a non-emboldened 'should' with "detect and fault" in "Whenever
possible, receivers should detect PIIIs and fault." I took this as
explainatory narrative, because the 'should' is not a 'SHOULD'.

The conjunction of PI detection and fault generation muddies the intended
strength of the imperative on detection and fault generation ie. MUST detect
and SHOULD fault, or SHOULD detect and SHOULD fault etc...

To me the resolution seemed clear and consistent [1], ie MUST NOT send PIs;
SHOULD generate error/fault on receipt of PIs. Detection of PIs becomes
implicit in meeting those imperatives and need not be spoken about
explicitly ( I think). Unless of course the intent of the WG in resolving
this issue was different than that... then I guess clarity and consistency
again fall into question.

Thanks,

Stuart
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlp-comments/2002Aug/0046.html