Re: attributes using soap encoding/RPC

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:06:18 -0400 (EDT), in soap you wrote:

>I had originally posted this to the wrong place.  Anyway.
>
>We have some complex types defined that have attributes.  The document style
>we are using is RPC, the encoding style is soap encoding.  Some SOAP
>implementations will handle the attributes fine others will not.  In looking
>at the latest soap spec for the encoding rules it's unclear to me whether
>arbitrary attributes are allowed to be serialized using SOAP encoding.
>
>My question is can you use types that have attributes defined also, with RPC
>style and soap encoding.  Thanks for any help.
>
>Tim

The first rule for serialization in the SOAP 1.1 encoding spec is

"All values are represented as element content. A multi-reference
value MUST be represented as the content of an independent element. A
single-reference value SHOULD not be (but MAY be)."

Given this, its impossible to serialize a value following the encoding
spec and have it appear as an attribute value.

If you are trying to re-use existing complex type definitions, then
I'd suggest you switch to literal style SOAP rather than using the
encoding model.

Cheers
Simon
www.pocketsoap.com