Re: Issue: HTTP transcoding [ was: What is W3C's position on RFC 3205? ]

That's specific to the case where SOAP intermediaries are colocated with
HTTP intermediaries (perhaps even just proxies, not gateways); i.e, HTTP
is doing the routing.

I was thinking more of the case where a SOAP message passes through an
HTTP intermediary that does transcoding in some form. It seems like it
would be a good idea to recommend sending no-transform in all SOAP
messages bound to HTTP (request and response, although the situation
above will need to be dealt with), so that these intermediaries won't
process the message.

Another situation involves HTTP intermediaries that process SOAP
messages without being explicitly targeted; they aren't SOAP nodes in
the strict interpretation, but they may add blocks, etc. This may be
legitimate in some cases.

I imagine that some text might be added to the draft highlighting
no-transform, so that implementations can use it if they desire. It
wouldn't be a good idea to mandate it, for the reasons outlined above
(it could be a property; generally, people would want to use it unless
they want to allow HTTP intermediaries to process the message without
being targeted).

Regarding Warning, its presence in a HTTP-bound message (request or
response) should be available to receiving implementations (perhaps as a
property?), so that they can act accordingly. Also, it may help debug
cases where the SOAP status doesn't match the HTTP status...

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/