Re: Issue #12 proposed resolution

I understand the concerns about compliance, but I think that picking
out things that seem like a good idea to us at the time is the road
to hell; it encourages people to implement without looking at the
specs for the underlying transports, and our selection of the
features to highlight can only be arbitrary.

Something like:

  Implementations of this binding MUST be compliant with the
  requirements of either RFC2616 [HTTP/1.1] or RFC1945 [HTTP/1.0], or
  later Standards-track specifications which obsolete them.

should be near the top of the binding definition.

Regarding redirection, we're in somewhat of an interesting situation.
I *think* the WG's intent is to support automagic redirection.
However, there is langugage to this effect in the definitions of 301,
302 and 307;

  If the 307 status code is received in response to a request other
  than GET or HEAD, the user agent MUST NOT automatically redirect
  the request unless it can be confirmed by the user, since this
  might change the conditions under which the request was issued.

In other words, because we use POST, client applications cannot be
HTTP compliant and automatically redirect SOAP requests (unless you
take great license with 'confirmed by the user').

With this in mind, we can do one of two things;

a) Disallow the use of 3xx HTTP redirection, and rely on a SOAP
   Module, Fault or similar to enable redirection.

b) Carefully craft wording to the effect that SOAP clients should
   assume user confirmation.

In either case, we probably do need explanatory language in the spec.
I'm slightly in favour of 'a' at this point.

Also, regarding status codes; can we insert some language to the
effect that SOAP Applications MUST NOT use status codes as a means of
determining the content of a SOAP message? I.e., see a 5xx, and
blindly act as if it contains a Fault? I think something to the
effect of:

  If there is contention between the HTTP semantics of a message
  (e.g., status code) and information in the SOAP Envelope, SOAP
  Applications MUST act upon the Envelope content.

should do the trick.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/