RE: why no doc type declaration and PIs in SOAP?

That's an awfully good point.  I'm re-considering my position, but I'm stuck
on the idea that it will also create confusion if a message that is XML
valid according to the SOAP schema MUST be rejected by a conformant SOAP
processor because it contains a PI, or an internal DTD subset, or whatever.
Am I missing something?