RE: SOAP Binding Framework Concerns

Kumeda,

Firstly, I very much like the way that you have framed the issue, the
diagram and the five types contract. Your framing also, clearly identifies
that it is Contract 4 that is at issue.

> Contract4 is very important for an entire system to operate as desired,
but
> shall be defined by the transport layers. In other words, SOAP needs to
use
> whatever services defined by the lower transport layers. If some functions
are
> not provided by a certain transport layer, such as request-response
bindings,
> they need be defined within the SOAP specifications.

One of the reasons that Contract 4 is important is because it effectively
defines the semantics of the channel over which SOAP operates. Once you can
'articulate' the nature of a 'Contract 4' then you can work (within SOAP) on
the protocol mechanisms (Contract 3) required to support 'Contract 2'.

The TBTF is trying to address the issue of Contract 4.

We could take an approach that 'normalised' 'Contract 4' ie. regardless of
what lies below, all 'Contract 4's are the same... this is the approach that
IP (and indeed TCP) uses... and the bindings of IP to some underlying
protocols (eg. X.25) do introduce mechanism in order to support the
semantics of IP's 'contract 4'.

Alternatively... we could take a view that every different underlying
protocol and binding provides different services into the SOAP layer, in
which case, different protocols/protocol+binding have different 'contract
4's. If we then go on to leave that competely open-ended... then I think
there is very little, if anything, we can say normatively about the
mechanisms of 'Contract 3' (which I think we are agreed are in-scope for the
SOAP spec.) because can say nothing about 'Contract 4'.

I think that the TBTF is trying to tread a middle path where there is not a
single normalised 'Contract 4' but where there is a repetoire of 'component
descriptions' that can be matched to the capabilities of particular
underlying protocols (and their bindings).

I'd like to ask you, if you have no knowledge of 'contract 4' how do you
develop the mechanism of 'contract 3' to support 'contract 2'?

Once again, thanks for the framing, I think it helps to get us to the heart
of the issue.

Best regards

Stuart Williams

These