Re: Issue 4 Proposed Resolution (was: why no doc type declaration and PIs in SOAP)

 Marc,
 I'd just like to restate here that XML requires some DTD
processing to be done even by non-validating parsers, so ignoring
internal DTDs would violate XML processing rules.
 To Paul Denning's wording: "MAY generate a fault"
indicates that the message can be silently tossed to a black
hole, which seems wrong. I think that since the parser has to
check now anyway (to know it MUST NOT process the message) it can
as well always generate a fault. So I propose this little tweak
of Paul's version:

 A SOAP message MUST NOT contain a Document Type Declaration or
Processing Instructions. On receipt of a SOAP message containing
a Document Type Declaration or Processing Instruction a SOAP
receiver MUST NOT process the SOAP message at all, and MUST
generate a fault (see 4.4 SOAP Fault) with faultcode of
"Client.DTD" or "Client.PI" respectively.

 Please let's remember that generating a fault doesn't
necessarily mean sending the fault message anywhere (e.g. in
cases when there's no anywhere to send it).

 Best regards

                            Jacek Kopecky

                            Idoox
                            http://www.idoox.com/