Re: Proposed Clarification for Issues 4 and 23

Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com wrote:

> Andrew Layman suggests:
>
> >> "A SOAP/XMLP application SHOULD namespace-qualify all
> >> elements and attributes defined by SOAP/XMLP in messages
> >> that it generates. A SOAP application MUST be able to
> >> process namespace qualification in messages that it
> >> receives. It MAY process SOAP messages which are otherwise
> >> schema-valid in all respects excepting that some elements or
> >> attributes that are defined to be in a SOAP/XMLP namespace
> >> are unqualified. It MUST discard messages that are not
> >> SOAP/XMLP messages by these rules (see section 4.4)."
>
> I like this, thank you, but with one possible exception.   Don't we need
> to say
>
> "A SOAP/XMLP application SHOULD namespace-qualify, all elements and
> attributes defined by SOAP/XMLP in messages that it generates.   If
> qualified, the namespace used MUST be the correct one provided by this
> specification for the element or attribute."
>
> I'd be happy to see this wording improved, but I don't think yours
> strictly rules out the case that I do something really stupid and put some
> arbitrary namespace on, for example, the body element.

I like the new wording as it does remove the original backwardsly
wording. However one of the key parts of the proposed wording was to
clarify the meaning of "discard" in the SOAP/1.1 text so how about the
following:

"A SOAP/XMLP application SHOULD namespace-qualify all elements and
attributes defined by SOAP/XMLP in messages that it generates.   If
qualified, the namespace used MUST be the correct one provided by this
specification for the element or attribute. A SOAP application MUST be
able to
process namespace qualification in messages that it
receives. It MAY process SOAP messages which are otherwise
schema-valid in all respects excepting that some elements or
attributes that are defined to be in a SOAP/XMLP namespace
are unqualified. It must generate a fault (see section 4.4) on receipt
of
messages that do not conform to these rules."

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Tel: +44 1252 423740