Re: Comments and element content for serialization

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Salz" <rsalz@zolera.com>
To: "Martin Gudgin" <marting@develop.com>
Cc: "W3C XP" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: Comments and element content for serialization

> > Strictly
>
> Well, that *is* the point of a spec, isn't it. :)
>
> > according to Section 5 the 'ia' element would need to be of type
> > Array in the http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/ namespace or of a
> > type derived from that type.
>
> That's how I read it.  But when one of the real authorities (I'm only a
> nit-picker, myself :) says Sec5 allows all that schema allows, I needed
> to double-check.

Section 5 allows what schema allows WRT simple types.

> So an XSD->SOAP translator should raise an error if min/max occurs are
> other than [0,1] and the element has any siblings.

If you are serializing according to section 5, yes.

> But I don't think the question in the subject line has been given a
> definitive answer yet. What does soap say about comments in element
> content?  That is, is "1<!--x-->2" a legal serialization for the number
> 12?  For the two-character text string "12"?

SOAP says nothing. I think the above would be a legal serialization of;

the integer 12
the decimal 12
the single precision floating point value 12
the double precision floating point value 12
the string "12"

and any other datatype that allows such a lexical representation.

Gudge