RE: Toss section 5 (create SOAP-lite)

> Daniela Florescu wrote:
>
> The way I wrap the internal data of my application
> (PL/SQL or Cobol for example because I am a database person)
> into an XML document is my own internal business, and I think
> it is inappropriate for a W3C WG to standardize on this. In
> fact, section 5 does not help me at all in this task, it just
> provides noise that makes my task more difficult.

There's another segment of the SOAP audience, though, that wants to
create a new set of interoperable RPC libraries that interface to
traditional (or new) programming languages and development tools. (And
eventually it will all move up the stack again back to distributed
objects.) For this segment, it's mandatory that there be a serialization
standard of some sort that handles the "common cases".

I'm not going to argue whether or not yet another RPC protocol is
needed, because it's off topic, and it's going to happen regardless.

It's not a burden for SOAP to support both sets of needs. I tend to
think the serialization ought to be supplemental to the core standard,
as should the RPC conventions, but it ought to be normative.

--------
  Scott Cantor               So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  cantor.2@osu.edu                  -- Douglas Adams, 1952-2001
  Office of Info Tech        PGP KeyID   F22E 64BB 7D0D 0907 837E
  The Ohio State Univ        0x779BE2CE  6137 D0BE 1EFA 779B E2CE