Re: TBTF: A distillation of sorts

My comments inline below.

Cheers,

Chris

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Glen,
>
> This looks good. Some initial thoughts;
>
> I'm primarily interested in the intermediary scenerios (of course).
> It may be helpful to think in terms of the SOAP endpoints vs. the
> underlying protocol endpoints; for example,
>
>   +------------------------------*  <--- SOAP transaction between endpoints
>   SOAP1 ----------> SOAP2 -> SOAP3  <--- SOAP nodes and hops
>   +-----------------*   +--------*  <--- HTTP transactions and endpoints
>   HTTP1 -> HTTP2 -> HTTP3 -> HTTP4  <--- HTTP nodes and hops
>
> Some endpoints (*) might have a URI associated with them. The SOAP
> endpoints always correlate to corresponding underlying endpoints,
> which is nice, but the SOAP hops and the underlying hops and/or
> transactions aren't, neccessarily.

agreed

> So, a service provided by HTTP is available from HTTP end-to-end, not
> SOAP end-to-end. As such, it seems like the processing model would
> need to know about the underlying protocol's endpoints in order to
> process these correctly.

not sure I follow what you're saying here...

> In TB call before today's, there was talk of the 'core' services that
> we need to accommodate in our framework. Correlation is one which
> we've covered, but endpoint identification *and* routing is also
> important.

yes, certainly, it would seem to me that at the very least, endpoint
identification is common to all transport protocol bindings. routing
on the other hand is not required by all, only those where intermediary
SOAP nodes are involved. What isn't clear to me is whether the
application code "knows" about these SOAP intermediaries...

> HTTP provides implicit endpoint identification for the client by
> virtue of the fact that it's the one that made the request. The
> routing of the response message is determined by the routing of the
> request message, in reverse order. Other protocols may not provide
> this, especially non-transactional or unconnected protocols. For
> example, SMTP could provide for response endpoint identification
> through the From: header, but the routing to that endpoint will
> probably be much different.

Ahhh, but if a SOAP intermediary node is involved, the implicit
client identification is lost because the perceived client from the
perspective of the ultimate recipient of the message is
the last intermediary, not the originating client...