Re: default fault destination

At 06:16 PM 2001-07-20, Mark Nottingham wrote:

>In some proposals for a transport binding, there's a notion of a
>default fault destination; e.g., "when using HTTP, deliver any faults
>generated back to the client."
>
>I'm wondering if it's more appropriate to define this in the SOAP
>application (e.g. RPC), and leave the transport agnostic about fault
>delivery.
>
>Thoughts?

I think the Binding Context should include a faultPolicy element where
default behavior is specified and can be overridden.  An "admin service"
(not part of SOAP 1.2 spec) could accept requests for Binding Context
information and return it to the caller (should a sender want to know
before or after sending a SOAP message).  If I get no response, I can use
the admin service to ask for the faultPolicy and see that perhaps it was
set send faults to a third party logging service.

Paul