Re: Proposed text for XML Base support in SOAP 1.2

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> It was supposed to through reference but would it help adding a
> paragraph just after the list saying something to the effect of
>
> "SOAP relies on the XML base specification for specifying the details of
> rule #1 for embedding base URI information in the specific case of XML
> documents."

That would do it or we could change rule #1 to read:

The base URI is embedded in the document's content as described in XML
Base[n].

Also, we say "The rules can non-normatively be summarized as follows"
whereas the XML base describes the same 4 rules *normatively*. This
could confuse people - are we saying that you don't have to apply these
rules for SOAP or (as I expect) that the XML Base text is the normative
version ?

>>Also there is some text that is copied almost verbatim from
>>the XML base
>>specification - wouldn't it be better to just refer to the original ?
>>

> The reason for providing a non-normative copy of the four ways for
> establishing a base was so that I could refer directly to each of the
> four in the same way xml base does.

You only refer to them in one new paragraph and that covers ground
already described in RFC 2396.

I propose that we amend the text of this section to read:

--- cut here ---

6 Use of URIs in SOAP

SOAP uses URIs for some identifiers including, but not limited to,
values of the encodingStyle (see 4.1.1 SOAP encodingStyle Attribute) and
actor (see 4.2.2 SOAP actor Attribute) attribute information items. To
SOAP, a URI is simply a formatted string that identifies a web resource
via its name, location, or via any other characteristics.

Although this section only applies to URIs directly used by information
items defined by this specification, it is RECOMMENDED but NOT REQUIRED
that application-defined data carried within a SOAP envelope use the
same mechanisms and guidelines defined here for handling URIs.

URIs used as values in information items identified by the
"http://www.w3.org/2001/09/soap-envelope" and
"http://www.w3.org/2001/09/soap-encoding" XML namespaces can be either
relative or absolute. In addition, URIs used as values of the local,
unqualified href attribute information item can be relative or absolute.

SOAP does not define a base URI but relies on the mechanisms defined in
XML Base[x] and RFC 2396[y] for establishing a base URI against which
relative URIs can be made absolute.

SOAP does not define any equivalence rules for URIs in general as these
are defined by the individual URI schemes and by RFC 2396. However,
because of inconsistencies with respect to URI equivalence rules in many
current URI parsers, it is RECOMMENDED that SOAP senders do NOT rely on
any special equivalence rules in SOAP receivers in order to determine
equivalence between URI values used in a SOAP message.

The use of IP addresses in URIs SHOULD be avoided whenever possible (see
RFC 1900). However, when used, the literal format for IPv6 addresses in
URI's as described by RFC 2732 SHOULD be supported.

SOAP does not place any a priori limit on the length of a URI. Any SOAP
node MUST be able to handle the length of any URI that it publishes and
both SOAP senders and SOAP receivers SHOULD be able to deal with URIs of
at least 8k in length.

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.