Re: Proposed Edits to "Framework" spec for header/body distinction.

Noah,

In general, I like the direction that this has taken. A few
nits/comments/suggested edits follow.

Cheers,

Chris

SOAP header block

A syntactic construct or structure used to delimit data that logically
constitutes a single computational unit as seen by a SOAP node within
the SOAP H eader. SOAP header blocks are direct children of the SOAP
Header ( 4.2 SOAP Header
<http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/10/11/soap12-part1.html#soaphead> )
or Body ( 4.3 SOAP Body
<http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/10/11/soap12-part1.html#soapbody> )
element information items. The type of a SOAP header block is identified
by the fully qualified name of the outer element for the block, which
consists of the namespace URI and the local name. A block encapsulated
within the SOAP header is called a header block and a block encapsulated
within a SOAP body is called a body block.

    there can be only one SOAP Header element, so the phrase "within a
    SOAP header" is somewhat
    ambiguous IMO.

SOAP header

A collection of zero or more SOAP header blocks which may be targeted at
any SOAP receiver within the SOAP message path.

SOAP body

A collection of zero or more element information items targeted at the
ultimate SOAP receiver within the SOAP message path.

SOAP fault

A special SOAP block which contains fault information generated by a
SOAP node....

    Not sure what to do about this last bit. Since there is no longer a
    term SOAP block, what is
    the SOAP:Fault? Should it be described as" a "special element
    information item..."?

1.      Determine the set of roles in wh ich the node is to act.   The
contents of the Envelope, including header blocks and the body , MAY be
inspected in making such determination.   [[...this change goes beyond
my mandate, but I think it deals cleanly and effectively with the
concern raised by Doug.  We would need a vote of the group to accept
this change ...it's completely separate from all the others...Noah]]

    I've always felt that there was a missing step here. Specifically
    something along the lines of:

2. Identify all targeted SOAP header blocks that are mandatory.

    The reason that I believe this step to be necessary is to allow for
    the likes of the "processing order" header described elsewhere in
    the spec. It seems reasonable to me that this be a REQUIRED step in
    the process that MUST preceed processing. If we are to expect that
    any SOAP processor will be capable of handling such a case as the
    "process order" header, then clearly, the processor needs to be
    capable of predetermining if indeed there is such a header that is
    going to (possibly) alter the processing of the message. Granted,
    this doesn't preclude the case whereby a SOAP processor would
    encounter such a SOAP header block and rollback all of the
    processing to that point and begin anew using the semantics implied
    by such a header.

1.3.          Identify any SOAP header blocks targeted at the SOAP node
that are mandatory and that are not understood by that node and generate
a single SOAP MustUnderstand fault (see 4.4.2 MustUnderstand Faults
<http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/10/11/soap12-part1.html#mufault> ) .
If such a fault is generated, any further processing MUST NOT be done.
Faults relating to the existence or contents of the body MUST NOT be
generated in this step.

    I have never been comfortable with the wording of the above step
    that had previously begun: "Generate a single SOAP Fault..."

4.      Process all SOAP header blocks targeted at the node and, in the
case of the ultimate recipient, the SOAP body.
A SOAP node MUST process all SOAP header blocks targe tted at to it. A
SOAP node MAY choose to ignore the processing implied by a SOAP header
block  targeted to it but not identified as mandatory.

    The change above is to make it clearer as to what the MAY refers to.
    IMO, the MAY applies to the node's choice to ignore a non-mandatory
    block which implies that unless it has chosen to ignore it, it will
    be processed. [NOTE: should there or is there an issue related to
    clarification of what it means to "process" a SOAP header block?

5. Remove all SOAP header blocks targeted at the SOAP node (whether they
were processed or ignored) if the message is to be further relayed along
the SOAP message path.

    I'm uncomfortable with having this last step in the process lost in
    the lengthy prose that ensues.