Re: SOAP and the Web architecture

Well, in the case of Squid, changing the max request-URI size
requires a change in a .h and a recompile.

Figures that I see say that anywhere between 15% and 30% (depending
on who you believe) of the HTTP traffic on the planet goes through a
caching proxy (note that this doesn't include other HTTP
intermediaries, just caching proxies). Many of these are very old
products, indicating that they're deployed in a 'fire-and-forget'
manner.

Considering this, as well as the difficulty of coordinating this
change with all of the intermediary's administrators (who often don't
care about the user's problems), it doesn't seem likely that we can
say "Hey, SOAP is cool; please change your deployment and/or code"
and get universal compliance.

Things will break, likely for a long time. Whether this is acceptable
or not is another question. Proxies are run in the interest of access
providers, not end users, and as a result don't always operate in a
manner that is transparent and/or friendly to the end users' wishes.

P.S. HTTP/1.1 defines a status code for 'request-uri too long';
HTTP/1.0 does not. No major vendor, to my knowledge, has released a
HTTP/1.1 compliant proxy before this summer; the majority are still
1.0 (1.1 is difficult to implement for intermediaries in a marketable
fashion). Because of this, it will not necessarily be easy to detect
this failure condition.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/