Re: [AM] - Modules and Handlers

	> From: "Rhine Wu" <rhinewu@hotmail.com>
	> To: "Mark Jones" <jones@research.att.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
	> Subject: Re: [AM] - Modules and Handlers
	> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:48:12 +0800

	> You mean " XMLP Application = XMLP Processor " and " XMLP Handlers = XMLP
	> Modules " ??
	> It sounds strange.

If by "=" you mean "stands in 1-1 correspondence with", then this is
about right.  There has been some discussion about whether it was
necessary to have a separate notion of "the behavioral abstraction of
X" in addition to "X" (for example, a handler being the behavioral
abstraction of a module).  For the moment, we have the distinctions.

	> I think XMLP Processor handles all the process rule ( XMLP_UnitData ) and
	> communicate with
	> XMLP Application . And XMLP Application dispatchs XMLP blocks to XMLP
	> Handlers .

This is pretty close.  It is also possible to dispatch a handler which
processes no blocks.

Relating again to the first point, by couching things in terms of
behavioral abstractions, it gives implementational flexibility.  There
may be radically different API's for invoking the module behavior.  It
could even be hardwired into the processor/application software; in
this case there wouldn't necessarily be an implementation artifact
that directly corresponded to a "dispatched handler".

--mark