RE: Removal (Time for XMail?)

> From: James Snell [mailto:jmsnell@intesolv.com]
> [...]
> Most definitely... one possible solution that I've starting
> thinking about
> was some kind of scoped-id mechanism.  I'm not sure how this
> would work
> exactly so it is more of just a random thought, but it would
> be nice to be
> able to declare ID's within a particular scope in the
> document itself.  In
> others words:
>
>   <doc>
>     <some_data id='a1'/>
>     <some_data id='a2'/>
>     <some_data id='a3' local_scoped_id='1'>
>        <item id='a1'/>
>        <item id='a2'/>
>        <item id='a3'/>
>     </some_data>
>   </doc>

This is an interesting problem that had not occurred to me before. Could one
do the scoping using namespaces? When using some sort of generalized
enveloping scheme, one would undoubtedly use namespaces, as SOAP does (or so
I would think).

So to cite a similar example to yours:

  <a:doc xmlns:a="some-URI" xmlns:b="another-URI">
     <a:some_data a:id='a1'/>
     <a:some_data a:id='a2'/>
     <a:some_data a:id='a3'>
        <b:item b:id='a1'/>
        <b:item b:id='a2'/>
        <b:item b:id='a3'/>
     </a:some_data>
   </a:doc>

Then one could reference id "a:a1" versus "b:a1". One could even use a
namespace just for the id attributes. Would this be a reasonable approach?