Potential Use Case for XP --- was [Wanted: Active XML-Element]

On Mon 11/20/2000 7:22 PM -500 Ernst Boehl wrote:
>But, you say it too, this approach is a XML-approach. Even a XML-based
>database, for example, needs to be active for some applications.

hmmm, interesting...

>What is the opinion in this mailing-list, to request an active XML-element?
>I know: The described communication requirements are not in the scope of the
>XML-specification. The description of the above scenario is only used to
>describe, from what point of view the request comes from.
>I do not believe in scripting languages as a general solution.

Thanks for submitting this example.  My first reaction is that an active
element, from an XP perspective, is an ongoing message exchange.  That view
would characterize an active element as one (or more?) end-point for
sending and receiving XP messages (a session?).  The exchange pattern
could be characterized as an abstract version of send/receive.

All that aside, it seems as though you have some very interesting use cases
in mind.  Would you mind sharing those in more detail?  As XP takes shape,
compelling use cases (*specific* examples of required exchanges) will be
invaluable, and if they are deemed in scope might become a subset of the
requirements.

All the best,
David