RE: SOAP and ebXML

David,

You are absolutely right.  BizTalk Framework started with the same general
requirements as ebXML/TRP including

1.  Transport independence
2.  Ability to carry arbitrary content
3.  Reliable delivery
4.  Message level security

Although early versions of BizTalk Framework were designed from scratch
without reference to SOAP, in the 2.0 version we were able to rebase the
framework completely to build on SOAP.  In so far as XP plans to provide an
extensible protocol framework in the SOAP tradition, there is absolutely no
reason why we cannot use XP to build a protocol that fulfills the set of
requirements ebXML's transport/routing/packaging work is based on.

I don't think it is meaningful to talk in terms of "mission critical" vs
"non mission critical".  What is mission critical obviously depends on the
mission.  I can think of many missions for which a lightweight XML-based
protocol would be required and built on top of XP and ebXML/TRP would be
altogether a failure in that "mission critical" role.  The point is that XP
enables a much wider class of mission critical protocols, whereas ebXML
focuses on a more specific B2B mission reflected in its specific
requirements.

Satish