Re: InitResponse Options Bit 9

Archie -- I advise against using option bit 9, so I'll offer a couple
alternatives.

1. Use the negotiation facility. See appendices 14 and 15 (Z39.50-2003).
2. Register an option bit for this feature.

The negotiation facility will fully support what you're trying to do. But I
don't know of anyone who's implemented it, and negotiating via option bits
is certainly easier to implement.

Support for multiple database names is a fairly fundamental feature arguably
worth of an option bit assuming that this is  boolean ("true/false").  We
would need to nail down the semantics of "support for multiple database
names".   I assume it means "the client may propose to include multiple
database names on a search request, and the server correspondingly indicates
that it does or does not support multiple database names".    Can't say "the
server indicates that it will or will not accept multiple database names"
because the server can't say it will, it might not accept any of the
combinations that the client plans to send. (And if you want to negotiate
specific databases then you'll need to use the negotiation facility.)    My
point is simply that we need to take a moment to think about the precise
semantics.

If you prefer approach 2 ( an option bit) let me know and 'll list it as a
proposal, with a brief comment period.

--Ray