character encoding ISO 2022

Please forgive my ignorance but what is ISO 2022 exactly?

The choice in the character set negotiation is between:
ISO2022
ISO10646
Private

ISO2022, as I understand it, is an encapsulation of all classic 7-bits and
8-bits character sets.
How many applications use ISO2022?
How do I say I send Ascii, or Latin-1?

Wouldn't it be better, instead of ISO 2022, to make a list (extendable) of
character sets used? We could give them OID's.
I think we need the following:

ASCII
Extended ASCII
ANSI