Re: native encoding

> Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:11:41 -0500
> From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
>
> Perhaps I missed something and if so please
> refresh my memory:  What is the objection to using
> variants?

The objection is simple this: we are not, in general, at liberty to do
this with records because they are EXTERNALs, and therefore not
specified by the standard.  We will get away with it for some type of
record, which are amenable to using different character sets; but if I
define a new record type 1.2.840.10003.5.1000.169.1 which I specify as
carrying an EBCDIC-encoded plain-text message, there is _nothing_ you
can say in the protocol that will override that.  My client will get a
1.2.840.10003.5.1000.169.1 object and quite rightly assume that it's
using EBCDIC.

)_v__/\  "St. Augustine [...] came up with the conclusion that the
	 story in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 was not a simple historical
	 sequence of events.  It just couldn't be.  It's not what
	 the words meant.  It just wasn't" -- Robert Bakker.