Re: character sets: Term as OCTET STRING

> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:43:55 -0400
> From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
>
> > I would be very uncomfortable about changing this.  OCTET STRINGs
> > are not strings in this sence.  (They ought perhaps to be called
> > something like OCTET SEQUENCES).  What if you include in your
> > GRS-1 record a JPEG image as an OCTET STRING?  What would it mean
> > for that to be subject to negotation?
>
> Sorry, let me be clearer.  My proposal was for the general form of a
> Term (which is an IMPLICIT OCTET STRING) to be included in the
> negotiation.  Not all OCTET STRINGs.

Well, that's less offensive :-)

But still, should you not use the InternationalString form when your
search term is, er, an international string?

If you override the meaning of an OCTET STRING search term, then I
have problems when I want to search for Other Images That Look Like
This One.  (Using the not-quite-finished VAPOUR profile :-)

)_v__/\  "... and that's why he's worth seven million pounds" --
	 Gary Lineker on Andy Cole after a string of hopeless misses
	 in a 0-0 draw vs Aston Villa.