From: Marvin Pollard
To: A. Bullen
Cc: www-zig@w3.org; levinej@sls.lib.il.us
Sent: 2/14/2002 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: Representing DRA holdings in a future Z39.50 client app

Andrew,

DRA Classic does not support the Opac Record Syntax. In order to
retrieve the holdings information we did this: Take the Marion
bibliographic database number out of the bib data in the present
response and then submit a new search, using the Marion Bib database
number, in a search of the circle_item_file database. We use a 1,12 Use
attribute for the search to retrieve the circulation information. The
Object Identifier for this search is: 1.2.840.10003.5.1000.10.1,

DRA Classic uses a 6 digit code which can be mapped to a temporary
location label for human eyes. Contact the library to learn what the
codes mean.

The DRA Classic Circle_item-file provides the Call number, the Item ID,
the temporary location and the availability status in the present
response.

DATABASE = circle_item_file,

Contact me directly if you need more information about how to do this

Marvin Pollard

"A. Bullen" wrote:

Dear all,

Please let me first apologize for what is probably a hopelessly naive
question. I did try to search the archives for the answer, but the
search doesn't seem to be working.

To wit: I am trying to implement a Z39.50 client connection to a DRA
(Classic) online catalog. We are currently using a (at this point)
rather old implementation of OCLC's SiteSearch product, but we need to
expand beyond its capabilities. In trying to use the YAZ toolkit, I can
easily connect to and get good solid results from the server; however, I

cannot get holdings information returned along with its accompanying
record. I CAN get good holdings information from the OCLC client. See
the difference at http://www.finditillinois.org/drarecords.html
<http://www.finditillinois.org/drarecords.html> .
Obviously, in a DRA system, there is a separate file that contains
holdings which is then attached to the record. Also obviously, OCLC has
put in a lovely little widget of code  into their black box JAR file
that retrieves the full MARC record. Since I can't get at that, I would
like to be able to duplicate their efforts.

Questions to this community:

A. What is the name of this file in a DRA system?
B. How does one reach it through a mechanism like a Z client?
C. What links the master MARC record with its holdings record?

Thank you for your time,

Andrew Bullen
Illinois State Library

--