RE: Proposal: Searching XML

My initial reaction about this is that XPath and XML Query both assume
that the space you are using for searching is also the space you are
using for retrieving the records - i.e. is very much from the SQL camp.

Z39.50 on the other hand abstracts the query from the retrieval.

In order to model the Z39.50 abstraction in XML terms, you actually need
two XML structures - one containing the XML nodes used during the
search, the second using the nodes use during the present and some
correspondence between the two trees. The first XML tree would conform
to some public standard and as Rob Saunderson indicates may not be much
more than a flat tree that lists the access points.

However, XPath also specifies not only the query but also the
information returned i.e. also forms the role of the e-specs during a
present. Again this doesn't fit well with the Z39.50 model of seperating
the two. In the above two XML tree view of Z39.50 the query components
of the XPath map onto the first tree whilst the parts sepcifying the
record to return map onto the second tree.

On the URI issue, however, we have a easy mechanical way of generating
those from the OIDs namely a URI of the form urn:z3950-odi:OID (or
similar).

Matthew