Re: Bib-2 and the DC-Lib

> Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:49:53 -0400
> From: Shuh Barbara <barbara.shuh@nlc-bnc.ca>
>
> You're right, Lennie and I didn't look at the DC-Lib Profile when
> developing Bib-2.  From what I see, it came after Bib-2 was
> developed.

The court rules that the defence's case is watertight!  :-)

> I haven't looked at the DC-Lib profile, but I suspect that some of
> the inconsistencies lie between the current state of Dublin Core and
> the DC-like access points used in the Z39.50 Cross-Domain Attribute
> Set, which was developed when Dublin Core was at an earlier stage of
> evolution.  As Bib-2 is tied to the Cross-Domain Attribute Set,
> Bib-2 can only change if the Cross-Domain Set changes.

Right.  I think we absolutely should update the cross-domain set to
reflect what's going on in the DC world.  Even if what we have is in
some sense "better" than vanilla DC (which it might be), the benefits
of compatibility surely outweigh any improvements.  We don't want to
spend our lives explaining to people "Well, it's sort of like Dublin
Core, except ...", do we?

> And the last time this was discussed (at the ZIG meeting in Boston
> Spa), there didn't appear to be an interest in the editors of the
> Cross-Domain Set to update it to be on par with the latest of Dublin
> Core.

Well, the editors[sic] are Ralph, aren't they?  I'd guess that his
lack of interest in updating it is just down to his having more
interesting things to spend his time on rather than any actual
objections; right, Ralph?  Would you prefer to hand XD-1 over to the
MA and leave it responsible for updates?

> The lack of holdings attributes in Bib-2 should not be viewed as a
> divergence.  Holdings are out of scope for Bib-2 - because they are
> covered elsewhere, in the Holdings Attribute Set.  And, because both
> sets have been defined within the Attribute Architecture, one can
> devise searches that will use attributes from both.

Right!

)_v__/\  "I said, `Hey Senorita, that's astute; Why don't we get
	 together and call ourselves an institute?'" -- Paul Simon,
	 "Gumboots"